I’ve always disliked how sweet the bottled jams sold in supermarkets are. So now that I have all the time in the world when the little one is in school, I decided to try making homemade jams.
Made a batch of blueberry jam and it turned out yums! So decided to make strawberry jam today.
The steps are really simple but it’s quite a tiring process (for me anyway :p) cos I have to stand by the stove and stir consistently for about an hour.
1. 2 boxes of blueberries / strawberries (I used the Korean strawberries that are so popular in the supermarkets these days)
2. 3/4 tablespoon of lemon juice / 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (respectively)
3. 1 tablespoon of honey / 2 tablespoons of honey (respectively)
[Tbh for #2 and #3, just add according to taste :p]
1. Mix all 3 ingredients into a pot
2. Turn on a low fire
3. Stir consistently, mashing up the fruits when soft
(I don’t mash them up till a smooth consistency cos I like my jam to have some bits of fruits. So mash according to your liking.
Also, I’ve tried mashing using a blender but somehow, the consistency is not as good as when you mash it up manually.)
4. Slow boil and stir till a thick consistency (like jam) is achieved.
5. Put into glass jars or baby food cubes (which I use) and cool.
6. Once cooled, refrigerate.
It can last up to 2 weeks but I usually try and finish it up within a week.
Tadah! Healthy homemade jam!